ARKzin is an independent monthly magazine based in Zagreb. It was founded as an Antiwar Campaign Zine (Anti Ratna Kampanja ZIN). As of November 1996, ARKzin has 3 homepages. The most recent ARKzin Web edition ("the original") offers the table of contents and several articles in Croatian from the most recent issues. It is mirrored at the University of New Mexico and at a site in Minnesota. ARKzin also has a WarZone WWW page which at present has an index of the "latest" issue (issue no. 49, 12/20/95) with condensed translations of articles, as well as subscription information and short info about the paper. In their own words:" ARKzin is supported by Soros Foundation for Humanity, Press Now, Media Filter and various groups all over Europe. We publish a high quality newspaper bi-weekly covering all main developments in all countries of the former Yugoslavia, especially Croatia. Our aim is to write against state violence and for peace in the former Yugoslavia."
If you contact them on ARKzin_zg@Zamir-ZG.ztn.apc.org, they will send you the English translation of the article you are interested in (they ask for a translation fee plus the author's honorarium). ARKzin is one of the few Croatian newspapers (also Feral Tribune and Globus) which can be bought in FR Yugoslavia (Serbia-Montenegro).
- To Have and Not To Have: "Homeless" Serbs in Croatia 5/5/95
- Either Babo or Abroad! Camp in Kupljensko - forgotten Muslim refugees, 12/22/9
- Radio L.A.E. - Goodbye Europe!: in Croatia, dead media are the best media , 2/16/96
- Who Slaughters Over There: how "Croats" became "Croatian nationalists" in Germany, 3/15/96
- Croatian Eldorado: What Will Happen When Suharto Dies?: ARKzin tackles nepotism in Croatian politics and economy; as a result, its editor-in-chief is detained by the police, 9/13/96
- Mission: Impossible: Croatia and the Balkans, 1/31/97
- Even Wealthy are Crying: George Soros and Croatian capitalism, 1/31/97
- Numbers and Letters: differences between Croatian and German attitude with respect to W.W.II; German W.W.II crimes in Serbia 2/14/97
- Time Goes and Time Will Come...: what is the right time to fight for democracy?, March 1998
- The Medium is the Message: is church the opposition in Croatia?, March 1998
Last update 8/25/99